Social media giant, Pinterest, predicted that train travel would be one of the biggest trends of 2023. Videos and photos of people trying to get the ‘Train Aesthetic’ rack up millions of views, with #TrainTravel on TikTok hitting 155 million views and #Interrail over 265 million as we move to summer 2023.
This social media desire for exploring the world by train has come at a time when Europe is seeing a resurgence in tourism by train, especially with new night train routes opening up in 2023 and 2024.
With this sustainable travel boom, we wanted to put some of these trains to the test, especially when you can sleep en route.
To test properly, we need to find someone who can be our official Night Train Tester to gain a first-hand experience. This is a real role for someone looking to get paid to explore Europe by train this summer. Find out how you can get paid to sleep on trains below.
Update: The successful Night Train Tester applicant
After careful consideration, Pauline from France, a passionate adventurer who has visited over 35 countries already, was chosen as our Night Train Tester. She brings lots of enthusiasm for exploring and trains to the role and we found her application inspiring and exciting. Pauline will be visiting Europe in 2024 to become our first official Night Train Tester.
Pauline said: “I am so excited to discover Europe in March 2023 with the interrail pass in collaboration with Radical Storage! I can’t wait to visit the capitals, discover the culture of the country, taste the specialties… and all this while traveling by night train! I’m really happy to be able to go on this adventure.”
Pauline, the future Night Train Tester, showing her train travel experience. Image credit: On se fait Lama’lle
What’s on offer?
Our Night Train Tester will need to be adventurous and ready to explore. To set them up for success we’re offering the right candidate:
- One month interrail pass (up to 7 journeys) to get around Europe
- Fees paid for up to five different night trains across Europe of your choice
- One month’s worth of luggage storage across Europe (using Radical Storage locations of course)
- As well as a £500 payment for your research and insights
We don’t need a veteran traveller, although they’re welcome to apply, we just want someone who is keen to explore Europe and open to new experiences.
The ideal candidate will be able to show us, and our readers, the real night train experience and why others should (or shouldn’t) consider these trains for their next big trip.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be legally allowed to travel Europe and have valid travel documents.
- Have good written English as they will be required to write a blog for Radical Storage, reviewing the train routes and night train experiences, specifically:
- Quality of sleep
- Experience of travel
- Ease of using trains/boarding
- Train crew
- Luggage storage
- Take high-quality photos and videos of their night train set-ups for us to use on social media and blogs (smartphones are fine).
- Have good organisational skills as they will need to plan their interrail route and book night train sleeping arrangements.
- Review Radical Storage luggage storage angels and locations used on the trip.
How can I apply?
The magic question! Full details on how to enter can be found in the form below, where you will need to tell us why we should choose you as our Night Train Tester.
You’ve got until 5th July 2023 to enter, so don’t delay and secure your sustainable travel trip for 2023. Full terms and conditions can be found below.
*We are no longer taking applications for the Night Train Tester role. We will be working with the successful candidate as soon as possible to get their journey started.
Popular night trains in Europe
If you’re looking for some interrail inspiration around Europe this summer, look no further. We’ve looked at a few of the best night train trips you could take this year to start your research.
- Paris to Vienna
Tuck in for a night’s rest in The City of Love and wake up for a day of exploring in The City of Dreams. The Paris (Gare de l’Est) to Vienna (Meidling) night train takes around 14.5 hours giving you plenty of time to get your 8 hours in, take in the views, and have a leisurely breakfast.
- Rome to Palermo (Sicily)
Did you know that you can take a night train from Rome to the island of Sicily? The train boards a ferry – seriously!
Taking around 12.5 hours, this train departs from Rome Termini in the night and gets you across the water while you sleep to wake up in the beautiful city of Palermo (Centrale). A unique experience, just one of a handful of trains in the world that makes a sea trip like this.
If you’re visiting the UK and want to see both the English and Scottish capital cities, you could save on a hotel room in these high-cost cities and sleep your way up to Scotland. The Caledonian Sleeper runs from London Euston station, to Edinburgh Waverley in around 8 hours, or you can take it to Glasgow, Aberdeen, or even further north to Inverness.
Tips for night trains
Night trains can save you money on hotels and are a more sustainable mode of travel as planes emit 28 times more greenhouse gasses per passenger compared to night trains. Despite those positives, some may find it hard to sleep on them or worry about the logistics and who they may share a cabin with.
The following are some key tips for any night train travellers:
- Pack a night bag with toiletries, nightwear, and a change of clothes so you don’t have to open your suitcase mid-journey.
- Bring your favourite food and drink onboard – there are no 100ml limits.
- Research your trip and find out if it’s worth staying up for any views, or looking out for a sunrise over mountains in the morning.
- Watch YouTube videos and TikToks of people’s experiences who have done the route you’re looking at for a realistic view of what to expect.
- Buy the ticket you’re comfortable with. Some people will be fine in a busy bunk, while others will want more privacy for their night’s sleep.
Full terms and conditions
The full terms and conditions to apply to be Radical Storage’s Night Train Tester can be found below:
- This job role is on a project basis for a one-month period
- Applicants must be:
- 18 years or older, proof of age may be required of the winner.
- Able to travel within the European Union and other European countries between July 2023 and January 2024 with valid travel documents and identification.
- Signing up for the Radical Storage newsletter is optional and not a requirement for entry.
- Radical Storage is the sole Promoter of this Campaign.
- Applications close 05/07/2023, entries after this will not be accepted. Winners will be contacted directly by Radical Storage or media partners, Root Digital.
- The interrail pass is nontransferable and reimbursement for night train tickets must be submitted within 1 month of purchase.
- Transport other than the interrail pass and night train ticket reservations will not be provided.
- It is up to the applicant to organise their own valid travel insurance for the trip.
- It is the successful applicant’s responsibility to claim their prize within 3 days after being contacted, or another Applicant will be selected at random by Radical Storage.
- The successful applicant will be required to submit the following material when on the interrail trip:
- Videos and photos of each night train.
- Reviews of each night train including: quality of sleep, value for money, experience of train journey.
- Review of using Radical Storage luggage storage.
- Entrants must agree that the information submitted to Radical Storage can be shared as part of any promotional material for Radical Storage on social media, on the website, and in other press material.
- All pictures submitted have the owner’s permission to be used by Radical Storage on social media platforms and its website.
- Radical Storage do not take responsibility for the condition of the trains used.
- This Campaign is not valid in conjunction with any other Radical Storage offer, Promotion or voucher unless stated.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Campaign.
- The Promoter, Radical Storage, reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize.
- Only one entry per person.
- Radical Storage reserves the right not to award a prize, disqualify a participant if there are reasonable grounds to believe that any person is not eligible for any reason or for any other lawful reason, including unruly behaviour or failure to comply with these Terms.
- Radical Storage accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any person due to their participation in this Campaign, their attempted participation or their acceptance of any prize.
- By participating or attempting to participate in this Campaign, participants agree that Radical Storage shall not bear any liability for:
- (a) the loss, theft or misuse of any prize;
- (b) any damage in any way attributable to this Campaign or the attempted participation in this Campaign.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.